Thursday 12 March 2009

Previously...

I thought I'd do a nicer-to-read blog this week, utilising more photos for those who don't like words.


The Subway
I think about 20% of any New Yorkers day are spent on the subway. Generally an uneventful experience unless the shitty cardboard Metro card gets a little damaged, which it inevitably will through heavy use. My problem led me to a gentleman who must have given 'How to be rude arrogant, yet still work with the public' lessons to immigration&customs officers. Most unhelpful was he.
I was given an envelope to post my faulty card and when asked if I could get a replacement the same day, a sharp 'No' emanated from behind his perspex rude box. Luckily, the card saw fit to work allowing me travel to Manhattan and indeed, back. We shall see how long it lasts until I have to buy a new one.
Sorry for the rant.

Central Park
Incredible. A few hour walk inside the frankly, out of place park, makes for an enjoyable relaxing afternoon as well as a time to use up the cameras batteries.

A lot more taken but I'll bore you with those upon my return!

Ground Zero
Haunting. There were building here when I last visited NY. It did feel strange, despite Welly-the-soulless not showing much interest. Currently building the 'Freedom Tower', one can't help but think of Armageddon (the film) at such a flag saluting, US-centric name.

Photography
In a city full of stunning views, its hard to find any orginiality when taking photographs. I could upload a few I'v taken of Grand Central, or Manhattan sky line, or any other of the numerous 'post card' photos that gets caught in peoples minds when they think of New York. I leave you will a few of my memories.

The last one to show that not all of New York is postcard worthy.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Yeahhh we won, did you get to watch it Steve's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos my friend! Especially the less picturesque ones - they help keep my jealousy at a nominal level...

    We're all following you on Latitude!

    ReplyDelete