Friday 10 July 2009

Walking in Memphis

Another Greyhound later...

A little confusion over our couch surfing arrangements. Richard had organised this one but hadn't managed to get final confirmation from our host so whilst on the bus, I phoned and arranged to stay with someone else.
We got to the bus station to find the original person, Tucker, waiting for us to give us a lift. Nice.

Memphis felt like the true South (Not that fake stuff they try and sell on the streets of St. Louis).

The streets were full of balls....

And Rock 'n Roll...


A night out on Beale street (THE place for blues music) which incidentally, is the only real place to go in Memphis...
They serve good sized beer though...

Which made us smiley...

We then stayed with Matt, the guy I had arranged whilst on the bus. He was a hero who drove an Audi TT but couldn't afford to feed himself.

He did invite us to his brothers leaving party though so an evening of free food and drink. I also had some 'Smores' (sp?). Basically, roasted marshmallow with hersheys chocolate (yuck) between 2 Graham Crackers. This would have been brilliant with Cadburys!

We met up with other couchsurfers...

And drank beer in not so good sizes...


We also went to Graceland (ofcourse) but my camera decided it was too tacky to picture so faked a dead battery. We had words later.
So, no pictures of this. I had hoped to try harmonising 'Since my baby left me' whilst at Evlis' grave. Richard didn't want to humour me on this. (Spinal Tap reference to those who haven't a clue)

A bar we went to with over 200 beers available. If you could drink them all within a certain period (3 months I think), they honoured you with a plaque on the wall...

Memphis is clearly full of drunks.

I like this new format of picture story telling. Especially how behind I am with these things. I may do the New Orleans one straight after this...2 blog posts in 1 day, aren't you lucky!

Further notes - so I don't appear too lazy with this post.
I had a nice time in Memphis although maybe a week was a little too long. The food speciality there is BBQ pork which we had a few times. The dry-rub ribs were amazing!
Our 2 hosts, Matt and Tucker were incredibly friendly (this couchsurfing is going well so far!).

And further down the Mississippi we go. Wheeee....

No comments:

Post a Comment